Nerdfighters

I have always found that the hardest part of writing is coming up with names. So does anyone have any tips or tricks to coming up with names? 

Thanks, 

Joe

Views: 116

Replies to This Discussion

I know, boy names are a lot harder.
Online baby name dictionaries are great, especially if you want meaning behind the names.

Babynames.com actually has a good little page on it: http://www.babynames.com/character-names.php

I often just go by what sounds right.  Nicknames are important too.  If my fantasy character has a properly lofty name, I want his/her friends to have a good nickname for him/her.

i have known a lot of people so when i write i pick a person i wont see agan and bass the name off that person. but this doset work well when writing a odd ganra of book like steam punk . so if i knew a guy name danny and my Character reminds me of him ill call my guy Daniel. but thats just how i do it
I use Google sometimes too. But I also grab my high school yearbooks for inspiration. I take a couple of names mash 'em up or splice 'em together and throw them in a document so that I can pluck one from the list when I need it.

Invest in a Baby names book. There are some really good ones out there that are super cheap. Then ask a friend or family member or stranger for a number and go to that page! It works like a charm!!

I have a big book of baby names, and if I'm really stuck, I flip open the book at random, close my eyes, and stick my finger on one.I also tend to lean towards Irish names, so I have a book of those too. I like having them on hand for character naming, because the internet searches can get a bit tiring when you just want to look at all of them to see which one sounds right.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service