I have recently seen The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I cried… more than I can remember crying in a single sitting in a very long while.
And so, I have made an email account firstname.lastname@example.org to lend an ear to all those who need to talk to someone. If you need to vent or just know you are being heard I will read it.
I have made some rules to this email account:
1. Every single email is going to be read.
2. Just like the reader of Charlie’s letters, I will not be replying to you.
3. The only exception to rule #2 is if you put “P.S. I wouldn’t mind if you wrote back” in your email. This way if you need some other assurance that someone cares enough to read what you have to say, I can provide it. I WILL NOT REPLY UNLESS THE BOLDEDSECTION (inside this rule) IS IN YOUR EMAIL.
4. If you would like to join me in caring for others, make the subject “I want to help read the letters”*.
5. The emails you send to this email will not be shared in any way you can think of. The writers of the emails are the most import people in this equation. If someone offered me a thousand dollars to publish one email, I would refuse.
*If you want to help this means you are agreeing not to share, publish, or in any sense violate the agreement with the sender of the email that what they are sending is private and we are only there to let them know they are being heard. You also agree to follow the rules above, although rule #1 will be split accordingly among the viewers.
Thank you to everyone who reads and passes this on.